Greensboro heating contractors and thomasville air conditioning repairs

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Your Greensboro Home Heating System

at | Category: Heating Maintenance

Greensboro Home Heating SystemFlu-like Symptoms May Indicate a Hazardous Carbon Monoxide Leak in Your Gas Heating

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can be an increased health risk during the cold winter months when people are more likely to use space heaters, water heaters, gas furnaces, wood and gas fireplaces and stoves to keep warm in their homes. Exposure to carbon monoxide, which is odorless, colorless and tasteless, can cause flu-like symptoms. These symptoms may include fatigue, headaches, dizziness, confusion or disorientation, and vomiting. Extended exposure can be fatal, so reduce your risks for poisoning by getting your home heating system inspected and maintained regularly by a Greensboro heating and cooling contractor.  Your HVAC contractor can also perform carbon monoxide testing while he is there.

According to data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers, exposure to carbon monoxide resulted in 47 U.S. deaths in 2008. Because this data was collected from those deaths reported directly to the poison control centers, the true fatality rates from carbon monoxide poisoning nationwide may be significantly higher. In order to reduce your risk, it is important to get the flue pipe of your home heating system inspected for restrictions or leaks, as a leaking flue pipe can be the source of a leak in your home.

A basic heating system tune-up service can ensure your gas heating is working safely and efficiently. A heating maintenance system technician will fully inspect the flue pipe of your home heating system and make any adjustments or repairs necessary to prevent leaks that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Additionally, technicians will check all controls of the heating system to assess proper and safe operation, from the start of the heating cycle to the end, to ensure it is shutting off properly. A complete inspection of all gas connections, gas pressure, burner combustion and the heat exchanger will further ensure against poisoning and potential fire hazards.

When getting a new home heating system installed, be sure to hire a fully-licensed and experienced heating contractor to avoid the potential hazard of carbon monoxide poisoning from a poorly installed unit. In addition to scheduling regular maintenance inspections of your home heating system, fireplace, chimney, flues and wood stoves before each cold season, it is recommended that you follow these tips to avoid problems in and around your home:

  • Don’t use charcoal or kerosene in the fireplace, and never use a charcoal or gas grill inside your Greensboro home, enclosed porch, garage or tent. Don’t use a gas stove or oven to heat the house.
  • When using your fireplace to burn wood or gas logs, be sure the flue is open and the chimney isn’t blocked, and don’t use these at all unless you have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector with a good battery back-up system in your home. Larger homes will require more than one detector to guard against carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Don’t run a generator inside your house, basement, garage or porch. It is safest to keep a generator outside, far from the house.
  • Never leave a car running inside a garage, even if the garage door is open, and never sleep in a parked car while the engine is running.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5620195

So if you are looking for a North Carolina HVAC contractor then please call us today or complete our online request form.


 

Towns We Service in North Carolina

Greensboro, NC | High Point, NC | Thomasville, NC | Lexington, NC | Jamestown, NC | Archdale, NC | Trinity, NC | Sophia, NC | Randleman, NC | Asheboro, NC | Denton, NC | Silver Valley, NC | Kernersville, NC | Winston-Salem, NC