Greensboro heating contractors and thomasville air conditioning repairs

Why It’s Important To Get Carbon Monoxide Testing Even If You Have CO Alarms

at | Category: Carbon Monoxide Testing

Carbon Monoxide Testing

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen to anybody, especially those who have gas-fueled appliances and furnaces in their homes. 20,000 to 30,000 people in the US alone are sickened by CO poisoning each year with about 500 who died from exposure.

Carbon monoxide testing is the only way to truly detect a dangerous buildup of this silent killer inside your home. Here’s why it’s important to test for carbon monoxide if you have a gas furnace or appliance, even if you have CO alarms installed.

Cracked Heat Exchangers Leak Carbon Monoxide

One of the most common failures of a gas furnace is a cracked heat exchanger. When the heat exchanger casing is cracked, the carbon monoxide generated by the combustion of the furnace will leak into your home.

A gas furnace is supposed to be a closed system with the combustion gases vented through the roof. A cracked heat exchanger is one of the major causes of carbon monoxide exposure in homes.

What Carbon Monoxide Leaks Can Do To You

Carbon monoxide is a deadly poisonous gas if it builds up within an enclosed space. Here are the health problems that carbon monoxide poisoning can cause:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea & vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Blurred vision
  • Mental confusion
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Increased risk of heart disease

Carbon monoxide leaks can also cause:

  • Explosions
  • House fires
  • Death by poisoning

Be WARNED – Even Low-Level Carbon Monoxide Detectors Do Not Replace Testing

CO detectors are not all you need. A full inspection of the furnace and a professional test for carbon monoxide leaks are necessary if you have a gas or oil furnace in your home.

Even low-level carbon monoxide detectors cannot detect levels below 30 ppm (parts per million). A standard CO detector can only detect levels above 70 ppm. These detectors only alert you when the buildup has reached this level.

  • NAAQS indoor exposure limit – 9 ppm for 8 hours no more than once per year!
  • Low level detectors – 30 ppm or higher
  • Standard detectors – 70 ppm or above
  • Firefighters use breathing masks – 35 ppm or higher

Whether you have a low-level detector or not—be safe and call a professional for carbon monoxide testing before every heating season. If you haven’t yet this year, get one done ASAP. Please call All Right Heating, Cooling & Electrical Inc. for more information today!

For more information about Carbon Monoxide Testing in the Greensboro, NC area, please call All Right Heating, Cooling & Electrical Inc. at one of the numbers listed below or complete our online request form.

So if you are looking for a North Carolina HVAC contractor then please call us today or complete our online request form.


 

Towns We Service in North Carolina

Greensboro, NC | High Point, NC | Thomasville, NC | Lexington, NC | Jamestown, NC | Archdale, NC | Trinity, NC | Sophia, NC | Randleman, NC | Asheboro, NC | Denton, NC | Silver Valley, NC | Kernersville, NC | Winston-Salem, NC